Saturday, December 17, 2011

“The worth of a human being lies in the ability to extend oneself, to go outside oneself, to exist in and for other people.”

I want to be a good woman.

I scanned an article about someone who did good early this morning. Later this afternoon it was everywhere - posted on the walls of friends, and picked up by the big news crews, so I read it again. Someone, somewhere (the point of origin is unknown) decided to pick up the tabs on KMART layaway accounts. They left enough for the recipient to finish the task (leaving nominal amounts of .04 cents to $50 or so dollars) so that KMART would be prompted to call the account holder and notify them of the deposit.

Someone had done this and perhaps told another. Or the recipient of this thoughtful gift told tale. Regardless of the how, the why inspired enough to follow suit as that KMARTs across the state were a flurry of holiday giving.

Some dropped a lot of cash, while others helped in ways that they could- paying off $250 balances, $75 balances. The weight balances when you consider the cost.

This article drove me to list making, not because I was trying to free up some extra cash to donate for the holidays, but because I exhaust money on needless things routinely that could go to better use. I read this and think, if only I had the money, I, too, would be so generous. But I want for nothing, fiscally. I live within my means, and they are warm and adorned. And I'm not advocating for complete frugality, but, but, but... I think I've lost sight of my senses.

It's convenient that this all comes to mind around the holidays; New Years which is basically a blanket mandate for reform. But reminders, whether in person or in print should be accepted and heeded.

I don't know what to do but Hiro suggests I do what I know. So perhaps I can start with writing and work my way from there.

No comments: